In much of the world people go most of their lives without ever meeting someone who is openly HIV positive and therefore carry around a preconceived notion that the majority of those who are infected are gay men, intravenous drug users, sex workers, or promiscuous individuals living alternative lifestyles. In South Africa, and around the globe, these preconceived notions and cultural stereotypes are just not accurate.


Now that HIV is no longer something that people have to die with and is rather something that people can “live” with, I believe it is important for the world to see and come to understand that people of all ages, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds are infected and living with HIV. Unfortunately, most of those people are now living with the disease and all of the stigmas and stereotypes that go along with it, making living with something that is already difficult, almost impossible. It keeps those who have it from acknowledging it, speaking out about it, and educating others. This causes secrets to be kept, keeps infection rates high, and makes the possibility of living normal lives inconceivable.


The cultural barriers for those living with HIV don’t have to be present forever, but they are never going to change if the world doesn’t get a clear picture of the actual population living with HIV. Stereotypes and preconceived notions are hard to change in an isolated area, let alone globally, but the best way to make the change is visually. People need to be able to relate to those living with HIV and the only way to do that, without personally getting to know someone, is to visually see that those infected are similar to yourself and are also professionals, students, mothers, babies, and children.


I currently live in Pretoria, South Africa where HIV/AIDS is very real for everyone. The Human Sciences Research Council, in South Africa, estimates that 10.9% of all South Africans have HIV/AIDS. Within the adult population the rate is estimated to be 18.5%. South Africa is thought to be the country with the highest number of HIV/AIDS cases in the world. It is true that certain demographics of the South African population are affected more than others but the reality is that the effects are felt through all demographics in this country and globally.


It is here, with the help of many brave individuals, that I hope we can we can make a "positive" contribution to all of those who deserve to live open and healthy lives, free of stigmas and discrimination. This will be a platform for them to tell their stories and show the world that they are normal people, with normal lives, that live with unfortunate circumstances and don't deserve to be judged for it. Additionally it is my hope that these faces of hope will encourage people to get tested and, if positive, choose a life with treatment.

Monday, April 20, 2015

Rinah - Living with HIV for 5 Years


Rinah is the mother of two children (ages 19 & 9) and has been living with HIV for five years.  After she received her positive result, unexpected health complications quickly followed and it remains unclear whether they were related to HIV.  Once her immediate health concerns were under control it was time for her to decide how to move forward. 
 



Before Rinah had an opportunity to disclose her status to family, a rumor within the community reached her son and daughter.   Devastated, they attempted to end their lives.  Thankfully, Rinah intervened in time and sought medical attention, which saved their lives.  It was at this point Rinah realized she had no choice but to live for her children.
 



In addition to her children's struggle, Rinah was fired from her job at the public health clinic and firmly believes it was directly related to her status.  She is currently working to fight her discriminate dismissal. 

 


While unemployed, Rinah volunteers with both Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) and a community group called Takuana Neshome, which means, "Stand Up and Do Something For Yourself". 

 


 Takuana Neshome meets daily to collect a list from the health clinic of those who test positive and never return for treatment.  List in hand, volunteers go door to door to provide in-home care, food, support and encouragement to choose life with treatment.  




Rinah’s strength and optimism have made her an HIV activist and leader within her community.  She lives without shame and her children have grown to be accepting, and supportive.  Her son has even taken it upon himself to volunteer and work as an activist within the community as well.  Rinah has fought through the initial hardship and is working daily to improve her life and the lives of others affected by HIV. 




"In the beginning, I had no choice but to be strong for my children and now we are able to be strong for each other and our community."




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello, i am Marcelo Paes Costa Junior, and i am from Rio, in Brazil. Let me give this testimony to the public about a great herbal doctor who helped me out with my own illness. I had HIV/AIDS for over 5 years and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin looked like. All I have in my mind is to give up, because life is not interesting to me any longer. One night, my sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS, i was not even interested because i never believed. She help me out on everything the doctor asked for, filled the treatment form for me and even used her own money to get the medicine for me. During one week of using the medicine, I started getting more stronger, my blood started to flow normally 4 to 5 days later, I start gaining Weight, before the 3rd week, my body started developing, my skin started coming up. After a month, I went for HIV test and I was tested negative. I’m so happy that I can say I’m not an HIV/AID patient again. if you have HIV/AID or Hepatitis, or Herpes or HPV or coronary artery diseases or any sickness please contact Dr.O.Water. His email is: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and His whatsapp number is : +2349050205019. I wish you good luck on this, God bless you all. i have a health group on twitter please follow me @Marcelocostapa2 and join my health group so that we can share information, create awareness and help others. You can also email me on marcelocostajunior1967@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Most of the time when we see stories like this we think is just that "stories"but I know Rhina through her TAC work.The community of mamelodi is blessed to have people like her. Aluta continua sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassedsome months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email to reach him: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete