In much of the world people go most of their lives without ever meeting someone who is openly HIV positive and therefore carry around a preconceived notion that the majority of those who are infected are gay men, intravenous drug users, sex workers, or promiscuous individuals living alternative lifestyles. In South Africa, and around the globe, these preconceived notions and cultural stereotypes are just not accurate.


Now that HIV is no longer something that people have to die with and is rather something that people can “live” with, I believe it is important for the world to see and come to understand that people of all ages, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds are infected and living with HIV. Unfortunately, most of those people are now living with the disease and all of the stigmas and stereotypes that go along with it, making living with something that is already difficult, almost impossible. It keeps those who have it from acknowledging it, speaking out about it, and educating others. This causes secrets to be kept, keeps infection rates high, and makes the possibility of living normal lives inconceivable.


The cultural barriers for those living with HIV don’t have to be present forever, but they are never going to change if the world doesn’t get a clear picture of the actual population living with HIV. Stereotypes and preconceived notions are hard to change in an isolated area, let alone globally, but the best way to make the change is visually. People need to be able to relate to those living with HIV and the only way to do that, without personally getting to know someone, is to visually see that those infected are similar to yourself and are also professionals, students, mothers, babies, and children.


I currently live in Pretoria, South Africa where HIV/AIDS is very real for everyone. The Human Sciences Research Council, in South Africa, estimates that 10.9% of all South Africans have HIV/AIDS. Within the adult population the rate is estimated to be 18.5%. South Africa is thought to be the country with the highest number of HIV/AIDS cases in the world. It is true that certain demographics of the South African population are affected more than others but the reality is that the effects are felt through all demographics in this country and globally.


It is here, with the help of many brave individuals, that I hope we can we can make a "positive" contribution to all of those who deserve to live open and healthy lives, free of stigmas and discrimination. This will be a platform for them to tell their stories and show the world that they are normal people, with normal lives, that live with unfortunate circumstances and don't deserve to be judged for it. Additionally it is my hope that these faces of hope will encourage people to get tested and, if positive, choose a life with treatment.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Mandla - Living with HIV for 18 Years


Mandla has been living with HIV for 18 years and is the father of a healthy HIV positive 12 year-old boy.  He has been on ARVs for 9 years and has remained healthy throughout the years.  However, over time he has experienced a loss of roundness in his face and slight nerve damage in his feet due to the side effects of some of the now antiquated ARVs.



Mandla lives a life of purpose as an involved parent and a valued community member performing outreach to others affected by HIV.  Mandla has not been limited by HIV in the most valued aspects of his life, especially finding love.  Mandla met Anna (see her + story below) through one of the many online support networks for people living with HIV.  They will be getting married in the near future and are looking forward to a long life together.


 Mandla has devoted many years to HIV advocacy, working to improve awareness and fight stigma.  He works with his local government and is a featured speaker on HIV awareness - most recently on one of Durban's largest radio stations, Ukhozi FM.  His drive to advocate for the infected can be in part attributed to his love for his son.


Mandla discovered his son's status when he became ill at the age of 3.  After being placed on a treatment regimen he regained his health and has continued to maintain it.  Unfortunately, Mandla's son lost his mother to AIDS when he was only 4 years old.  At the age of 10, Mandla's son's status was disclosed to him with the help of social workers and a children's support group.


Mandla believes that years of hard work and outreach within his community has made an impact that is absent in many other rural areas of South Africa.  People are more knowledgeable, open, and accepting, which makes life easier for his own son in an environment that was once the opposite.


"It is upon us to be role models, especially to the newly infected."
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, i am Marcelo Paes Costa Junior, and i am from Rio, in Brazil. Let me give this testimony to the public about a great herbal doctor who helped me out with my own illness. I had HIV/AIDS for over 5 years and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin looked like. All I have in my mind is to give up, because life is not interesting to me any longer. One night, my sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS, i was not even interested because i never believed. She help me out on everything the doctor asked for, filled the treatment form for me and even used her own money to get the medicine for me. During one week of using the medicine, I started getting more stronger, my blood started to flow normally 4 to 5 days later, I start gaining Weight, before the 3rd week, my body started developing, my skin started coming up. After a month, I went for HIV test and I was tested negative. I’m so happy that I can say I’m not an HIV/AID patient again. if you have HIV/AID or Hepatitis, or Herpes or HPV or coronary artery diseases or any sickness please contact Dr.O.Water. His email is: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and His whatsapp number is : +2349050205019. I wish you good luck on this, God bless you all. i have a health group on twitter please follow me @Marcelocostapa2 and join my health group so that we can share information, create awareness and help others. You can also email me on marcelocostajunior1967@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete