In much of the world people go most of their lives without ever meeting someone who is openly HIV positive and therefore carry around a preconceived notion that the majority of those who are infected are gay men, intravenous drug users, sex workers, or promiscuous individuals living alternative lifestyles. In South Africa, and around the globe, these preconceived notions and cultural stereotypes are just not accurate.


Now that HIV is no longer something that people have to die with and is rather something that people can “live” with, I believe it is important for the world to see and come to understand that people of all ages, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds are infected and living with HIV. Unfortunately, most of those people are now living with the disease and all of the stigmas and stereotypes that go along with it, making living with something that is already difficult, almost impossible. It keeps those who have it from acknowledging it, speaking out about it, and educating others. This causes secrets to be kept, keeps infection rates high, and makes the possibility of living normal lives inconceivable.


The cultural barriers for those living with HIV don’t have to be present forever, but they are never going to change if the world doesn’t get a clear picture of the actual population living with HIV. Stereotypes and preconceived notions are hard to change in an isolated area, let alone globally, but the best way to make the change is visually. People need to be able to relate to those living with HIV and the only way to do that, without personally getting to know someone, is to visually see that those infected are similar to yourself and are also professionals, students, mothers, babies, and children.


I currently live in Pretoria, South Africa where HIV/AIDS is very real for everyone. The Human Sciences Research Council, in South Africa, estimates that 10.9% of all South Africans have HIV/AIDS. Within the adult population the rate is estimated to be 18.5%. South Africa is thought to be the country with the highest number of HIV/AIDS cases in the world. It is true that certain demographics of the South African population are affected more than others but the reality is that the effects are felt through all demographics in this country and globally.


It is here, with the help of many brave individuals, that I hope we can we can make a "positive" contribution to all of those who deserve to live open and healthy lives, free of stigmas and discrimination. This will be a platform for them to tell their stories and show the world that they are normal people, with normal lives, that live with unfortunate circumstances and don't deserve to be judged for it. Additionally it is my hope that these faces of hope will encourage people to get tested and, if positive, choose a life with treatment.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Jackie - Living with HIV for 4 Years



 Jackie has been living with HIV for 4 years. After getting tested as a routine precautionary measure, Jackie’s positive result came as a giant shock.  She was so afraid of others finding out and how they would look at her once they knew, that she, for a brief period, found life not worth living.  



She gathered her courage and called her family together to give them what, at the time, felt like devastating news.  And although her family was caught off-guard, they responded with love and support.  Soon after, she began to gradually tell friends and colleagues and was once again overjoyed by their warmth and support.  Jackie remained open and honest about the new challenge in her life and those close to her became closer. 

 
After her diagnosis Jackie began taking ARVs and has been generally healthy.  There are, however, several unpleasant side effects from the medication such as dizziness, loss of balance, insomnia, nightmares, headaches, and trouble concentrating.  Jackie manages the side effects and continues to lead a full life enjoying golf, traveling, and photography.

 
Not long after her diagnosis, Jackie got married to a man who is also HIV positive.  They support each other through the challenges of their illness but enjoy their daily lives to the fullest regularly surrounded by their children, grandson, dogs, family and friends. Jackie and her husband speak to schools, churches, and companies, with whom they share their story and personal experiences about being HIV positive.  It is their goal to raise awareness, reduce stigma, and change the perceptions associated with HIV/AIDS.  

 
Jackie changed jobs within the last few years and was transparent about her status.  She began her job with her boss fully aware of her status and without the secrecy and shame that can often follow new employment.  Jackie is open about her status in all areas of her life. Her husband, however, remains selective and discrete with whom he discloses his status.  Jackie supports his decision and recognizes that although being open was the best way for her it is not the best route for everyone.  

 
Jackie is a happily married, career woman, mother of 3 beautiful children, and granny to an amazing little boy.  She has not allowed HIV to define her.  She has met the struggles head on and with the her positive attitude and the love and support of her husband, family, friends, and work colleagues she is planning for and looking forward to the future.  

 
“It ‘s not something that happens to other people anymore, it can happen to anyone of us.  It does not discriminate between color, culture, religion, gender, or age.  I want to share my story to make people aware.  Take every precautionary measure possible and get tested on a regular basis.  It’s been a hard lesson, no mistake, but life does go on, even with its challenges.”



5 comments:

  1. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, i am Marcelo Paes Costa Junior, and i am from Rio, in Brazil. Let me give this testimony to the public about a great herbal doctor who helped me out with my own illness. I had HIV/AIDS for over 5 years and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin looked like. All I have in my mind is to give up, because life is not interesting to me any longer. One night, my sister ran to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure HIV/AIDS, i was not even interested because i never believed. She help me out on everything the doctor asked for, filled the treatment form for me and even used her own money to get the medicine for me. During one week of using the medicine, I started getting more stronger, my blood started to flow normally 4 to 5 days later, I start gaining Weight, before the 3rd week, my body started developing, my skin started coming up. After a month, I went for HIV test and I was tested negative. I’m so happy that I can say I’m not an HIV/AID patient again. if you have HIV/AID or Hepatitis, or Herpes or HPV or coronary artery diseases or any sickness please contact Dr.O.Water. His email is: DRWATERHIVCURECENTRE@GMAIL.COM and His whatsapp number is : +2349050205019. I wish you good luck on this, God bless you all. i have a health group on twitter please follow me @Marcelocostapa2 and join my health group so that we can share information, create awareness and help others. You can also email me on marcelocostajunior1967@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Nathalia Lucas, 42 years old and female.From Brazil. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 36 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I am a 57 now who was diagnosed with COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but I was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr James  total cure herbal medicine. my husband saw his testimony on the internet. He used his powerful medicine to cure different diseases. we contacted his email   [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, will cure you totally and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.
    Dr James also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD,CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr James  by his email  Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com  whatsapp number   +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from autism, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered autism in 2017 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always had difficulty with communication , and he always complained of poor eye contact . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to autism . I never imagined autism has a natural cure not until I contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.autism has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on other diseases like HIV/AIDS,HERPES, CANCER,DIABETES,FIBROID,LUPUS,NS,HPV,AND MORE   [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]  on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story  

    ReplyDelete